Emerge Natural Health Provides Treatment for PTSD
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a traumatic event like a natural disaster, serious accident, terrorist act, combat, rape or other violent assault. PTSD affects approximately 3.5 percent of U.S. adults, an estimated one in 11 people will be diagnosed PTSD in his/her lifetime with women twice as likely as men to receive a PTSD diagnosis.
Requirements for diagnosis of PTSD include:
- Experience of a traumatic event
- Ongoing, intense and disturbing thoughts and feelings about that event long after it happened
Symptoms of PTSD:
- Intrusive thoughts, involuntary memories, distressing dreams, flashbacks of the traumatic event.
- Avoiding reminders. Avoiding people, places, activities and situations that trigger distressing memories.
- Negative thoughts and feelings, ongoing fear, horror, guilt or shame.
- Irritability and having angry outbursts, behaving recklessly, being self-destructive.
- Exaggerated startle response, chronic stress response poor sleep, memory problems.
- Digestive issues, elevated blood pressure, excessive sweating, fatigue.
Stress affects the autonomic nervous system and PTSD causes a frequent, elevated and/or prolonged stress response. An elevated stress response results in stimulation of the fight/flight/freeze part of the sympathetic branch of the autonomic nervous system.
“Translating this reaction to human conditions gives a pathophysiological explanation for PTSD by a maladaptive learning pathway to fear response through a hypersensitive, hyperreactive and hyperresponsive HPA axis.”
~ Biol. Psychiatry 50 (12): 986–93.
The HPA axis (hypothalamus in the brain, pituitary gland, adrenal glands) governs the stress response and the hormones secreted during periods of elevated stress. Knowing how the HPA axis works allows us to design treatment plans for PTSD.
Treatments for PTSD include:
- Lifestyle Optimization – sleep, diet, nutrition, diet, supplementation, exercise, support from family and friends, spiritual practice, connection to nature
- Testing, Diagnosis and Treatment of other concomitant physical or psychological conditions
- Breathing exercises
- Yoga, tai chi, chi qong
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy – EMDR
Emerge Natural Health Care, PLLC has caring specialists who can help you overcome PTSD. Please call us at 360 787 3615 to schedule a visit or a free 10 minute consult with one of our practitioners.